1. Location. What do you like to do? Do you love the bustle of downtown, do you want to shop, do you want total privacy, will you spend every day on the beach? Your answers determine the best place on the island for you to rent your vacation house. You may choose a colorful cottage in the heart of Oak Bluffs or a secluded waterfront beach property on Chilmark’s south shore.
2. Size. Your Martha’s Vineyard rental must accommodate your crew. Whether it’s a big family get-together or an intimate get-away, you’ll need to decide how many bedrooms, which types of beds (single, bunk, king) and how many bathrooms will keep you comfortable. Typically, home owners allow 1-2 people (children included) per bedroom.
3. Price. What are you hoping to spend on your Martha’s Vineyard vacation rental? Price influences the size, style, amenities and location of rental houses on the island.
4. Timing. Is everything. You can book well in advance (over a year to be safe!) to insure your dream rental, or hold off until the last minute and possibly secure a great house for an incredible deal. Many repeat tenants take the same house year after year, and they put their deposit down for the next year at the end of their current stay. So if this is your first time renting, the end of September is most likely when owners will know their availability for the following season.
5. Good Agent. You aren’t on the island, but your vacation rental agent should be – so s/he is critical to your securing the best rental house. Make sure you’re getting the attention you deserve which means that your agent is listening to you and filling your needs, not just trying to make a sale. Or are you working directly with the owner? If so, make sure they are giving you an accurate representation of their property by asking for pictures and references.