Martha’s Vineyard has long been a popular getaway destination and for good reason. It has everything you could want in a vacation spot: beautiful beaches, scenic vistas, quaint towns, and delectable dining. But, if you’ve never been to the Vineyard before or you aren’t familiar with the area, you may be asking the question, “Where is Martha’s Vineyard?” Well, we here at Sandpiper Rentals are here to answer that question and give you some insight into why you should visit this amazing place.
Where is Martha’s Vineyard?
Martha’s Vineyard is an island off the coast of Massachusetts, seven miles south of Cape Cod. It’s well known as a summer colony. The Vineyard measures about 100 square miles in area and is the third largest island on the East Coast of the United States. The island is only accessible by boat or air from the mainland. Though it is primarily known as a summer destination, with the population growing to almost 100,000 people during the season, the year-round population of the island has grown in recent years. The island includes Chappaquiddick, which is sometimes separated from the main island by storms, but is currently linked.
Places on Martha’s Vineyard
Now that you know the answer to the question, “Where is Martha’s Vineyard?” you may want to know a bit more about the island. Martha’s Vineyard can be separated into six towns. Each town has its own unique atmosphere and features, but all of the towns boast that signature Martha’s Vineyard aesthetic and feeling that vacationers have come to love.
- Tisbury: Located at the top of the island, most people come to Martha’s Vineyard through Tisbury or Oak Bluffs. Vineyard Haven is the main village in Tisbury.
- Edgartown: Edgartown includes the island of Chappaquiddick as well as Katama. This is the largest town on the island and has a rich whaling history.
- Oak Bluffs: Known for the gingerbread cottages and open harbor, Oak Bluffs has a reputation for having a vibrant nightlife.
- West Tisbury: Martha’s Vineyard’s agricultural center, West Tisbury hosts the annual Martha’s Vineyard Agricultural Fair each year in August.
- Chilmark: Chilmark is one the island’s more rural towns and has a beautiful hilly terrain.
- Aquinnah: The westernmost town on the island, Aquinnah is home to the famous Gay Head Lighthouse and the Aquinnah Cliffs. This is the ancestral home of the Wampanoag Tribe of Gay Head.
Staying on Martha’s Vineyard
Whatever your plans on Martha’s Vineyard entail, your time on the island will be enhanced by a stay at one of our gorgeous rental properties. We have rentals in Aquinnah, Chappaquiddick, Chilmark, Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, and West Tisbury. So, whether you want to be in the middle of the action in Downtown Edgartown or a bit more isolated in the secluded Aquinnah area, we have your needs covered. With both new construction and splendidly kept classic houses, Sandpiper Rentals’ properties include features like open floor plan kitchens, luxurious bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, decks perfect for sunning and taking in the sites, and even swimming pools. And with many properties being in waterfront locations, you’ll never be too far from all the fun that the Atlantic Ocean promises during the summer. We look forward to seeing you soon!