Lake Tashmoo, on northeastern Martha’s Vineyard, is a calm, beautiful lake located just minutes from nearby Vineyard Haven. According to legend, the lake received its name after Tashmoo, son of Phohoganot, came to the area and discovered paradise. We don’t like to brag, but we think he might’ve been right.
Here are our favorite things to do on Lake Tashmoo:
- Swim: Despite its latitude, Lake Tashmoo is a relatively warm lake. Its shallow, protected waters provide an ideal spot to take a dip. It should be noted that the lake side is slightly warmer and calmer than the ocean side, so that may be your best swimming option.
- Kayak: The calm waters provide ideal paddling conditions, and its 270 acres ensure kayakers have plenty of room to maneuver. It’s an ideal family adventure!
- Sunset cruise: Enjoy a Martha’s Vineyard sunset from the bow of a chartered sailboat. Some charters allow visitors to bring food and drink aboard, making it possible to blend the sunset’s brilliant yellows and oranges with a ruby-red Pinot noir, or a golden chardonnay. If you’re looking for a romantic outing, this has our vote.
- Fishing: Surf-casting is popular on Lake Tashmoo. You can try fishing from the beach, the jetty, or perhaps even from a canoe or kayak. If you’re a fisherman, it’s not to be missed!
Before (or after) Lake Tashmoo, visit nearby Vineyard Haven. There, you can find multiple interesting experiences, including:
- Felix Neck Wildlife Sanctuary: This wildlife sanctuary, located just outside Vineyard Haven, protects the area’s wildlife and habitat. Visitors to the sanctuary may enjoy guided group tours, either by foot or kayak, learning about the area’s flora and fauna. Have kids? Bring them along! The sanctuary hosts a variety of fun, child-friendly activities, such as Nature Bingo and a Mass Audubon Quest. Don’t miss out on an adventure through this magnificent slice of Vineyard Haven!
- Flying Horses: Oak Bluffs, located just ten minutes from Vineyard Haven, boasts America’s oldest platform carousel. Swing by this National Historic Landmark and, for only $1.50, take a ride on a century-old steed.
- Wandering: Vineyard Haven provides an ideal setting for a walk. The town center, which is small enough to explore in a day, contains numerous shops hosting a variety of works by local artists and craftsmen. One such example would be the Seaworthy Gallery, which sells stunning prints of the surrounding area, all captured in the sadly-disappearing medium of film photography.
Come see the beautiful sites in and around Vineyard Haven and Lake Tashmoo. Be sure to reserve your accommodations through Sandpiper Rentals. Our Martha’s Vineyard vacation rentals are ideal for relaxing and unwinding in between all of the great activities you can participate in during your time on the island. Our rental properties are located all over Martha’s Vineyard, so you can choose to stay on your favorite part of the island. Whether you want to be right in town or more isolated, we have the perfect rental for you. Our homes are all unique, yet they all offer comfortable accommodations and luxurious amenities. Visit our website to check availability and learn about all of our services!